Did you really receive Jesus?
The aim of this uGroup is to either get people to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior or get people to realize that they might not be living in the full potential that God has given them through salvation.
- John 3:16
- John 1:12
Any fun and welcoming Icebreaker that gets the members moving, on their feet, where all the members can participate in. If there are new members be careful not to create a space where they feel exposed or uncomfortable.
Introduce the message by asking the following question:
- When was the last time that you blessed somebody (or somebody blessed you) and what did they (you) do with it?
- Example: A stranger gave you money because she felt led to do so. You then took it and bought yourself a new T-shirt.
- Example: You bought somebody food and gave it to them. They took it and shared it with their friends.
- Encourage members to talk about this for a while.
From their examples, ask if they can make a clear distinction between the following two steps:
- When the blessing is given by the giver and
- When the same blessing is received by the receiver
Also, ask them why they think it is important that both these steps are needed for a blessing to actually have the full effect?
- Example: The stranger gave you money and you reached out to receive it. Both the giving hand and the receiving hand has to be open.
- To clearly show the difference between these two steps during the giving process, you can illustrate it.
- Use any object (Bible/smartphone), place it in the middle of the uGroup, and tell them not to touch it. Then say that you have given them that object.
After this, you can ask the following questions:
- Is the object currently in your possession? Why not?
- Would you be able to go outside and show somebody the object? Why not?
- Would you be able to go down to the grocery store and actually give the object to somebody else? Why not?
(It is important that nobody takes hold of the object yet)
Read John 3:16 and explain to them that just like the object that you have placed in front of them, God has given us his Son.
- It is important to let them know that Jesus dying on the cross and raising from the dead did not save anybody yet, because only the first part – the giving part – of the process is completed. (This a very sensitive topic, explain it thoroughly).
- Explain to them that just like the object that is in front of them, it is of no use to them while it just lies there. They should understand that we are saved only by the grace of God and not by our works, but if Jesus dying for our sins was enough to save humanity, then why are people still going to Hell?
Read John 1:12 and talk about how we have to receive Christ to actually become children of God.
If a lot of people in your uGroup are already saved or members believe that they have given all to God but are actually still stuck in the world, share these thoughts:
- If you have received Jesus, it gives you the ability to 1) show Jesus and 2) share Jesus.
- If you cannot show or share Jesus, did you really receive Him?
- When was the last time people around you experienced Jesus’ love and saving power working through you?
- How can we receive Jesus?
- How can we show of share Jesus?
God’s gift of salvation was not given so that you can stand and stare at it in wonder and awe. It was given so that you can take hold of it, receive it, and show and share it with a depressed and dying world.