The aim of this uGroup is to encourage members to cultivate compassion and to encourage them that compassion is followed by an act.
1 John 3:17-18 (The outworking of Love)
Any fun and welcoming Icebreaker that gets the members moving, on their feet, where all the members can participate in. If there are new members be careful not to create a space where they feel exposed or uncomfortable.
Read 1 John 3: 17-18 as an introduction.
- Refer to the different translations
- NIV: “has no pity”
- NKJV: “closes his heart”
Introduce the message by asking the following question:
- What does the word compassion mean to you?
- The Hebrew and Greek words translated “compassion” in the Bible mean “to love, to have mercy, to feel sympathy, and to have pity.”
- To suffer with one another.
- Compassion is a mixed passion, compounded of love, and sorrow.
The following could be relevant questions to ask:
- Why is it important to have compassion?
- Note: Compassion creates miracles (Compassion is always followed by an act)
- Compassion was a direct motive for at least 5 of Jesus’ miracles
- The Bible is clear that compassion is an attribute of God and of God’s people as well
- Where was Jesus moved with compassion?
- When should I have compassion?
- How do I open my heart to have compassion?