The new self
The goal of this uGroup is to remind members and give them hope that the “new
self” that Paul talks about is not something that is far out of our reach but
available for each one of us. Are there still things in your life that you have been struggling with even after you are born again?
- Ephesians 4:17-24
Any fun and welcoming Icebreaker that gets the members moving, on their feet, where all the members can participate in. If there are new members be careful not to create a space where they feel exposed or uncomfortable.
Read the whole passage of scripture as an introduction
The following could be relevant questions to ask:
- What does the old self look like? (Titus 3:3-7)
- What is this new self that Paul is speaking of? (Colossians 1: 19-22)
- Who God created us to be.
- The new person you become after giving your life to Jesus.
- New mindset, a new attitude that transforms our entire being.
- What does the new self-look like?
- Like sons and daughters of the King.
- Righteous and holy.
- To put on the new self we need to know how God sees us. We need to see ourselves through his eyes.
- How do we put off the old self which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires - how do we put to death this old desire?
- Fasting and prayer (Romans 8: 5-6)
- To be made new in the attitude of your minds. It is the attitude of our minds that need renewal.
- Spending time in the word of God and seeing what His thoughts are and after getting to know Gods word then we can begin taking our thoughts captive and make it obedient to Christ (2 Cor 10:2)
- Why is it important to put off the old self?
- Sin hardens our hearts. (Hebrews 3:12)
- Galatians 5:19-21
- So how do we put on this new self?
- First of all, understanding that there is grace for us in the seasons that we are in. The bible says that My grace is sufficient for you (2 Cor 12:9) and My mercies are new every morning (2 Lamentations 3: 22-23). This is where our confidence lies. Therefore we can approach the throne of Grace with Boldness! Even though we make mistakes, we are still holy and blameless in his sight.
Read the situation, we want to do the sinners prayer if possible, either from the
Word or after Worship.